The heat is turning up, and this time of year we’re all looking for a way to cool off and restore the wear and tear that summer puts on us. Did you know your diet can play an important role in keeping your body going during these hot months? Here are a few foods that can help you refuel while you enjoy your summer activities.
1) Watermelon: Full of water, vitamins, antioxidants and minerals, this fruit is tasty and beneficial. It’s super low in calories and can quench your thirst quickly on a hot day.
2) Mangoes: With a tropical taste, mangoes are full of Vitamin C and a good amount of fiber. You can eat them with your morning oatmeal, add them to your favorite smoothie, or top fish and chicken with a tangy mango salsa.
3) Yogurt: With fresh fruits readily available during the summer, yogurt is a great superfood to add to your menu. Not only does it mix well with fresh fruit, it’s also a fantastic source of probiotics which helps your intestines digest food easier, leaving you feeling less bloated and more comfortable. Yogurt is a great cooling, low calorie, summertime snack.
4) Avocados: Avocados are great for heart health due to being full of potassium, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folate, and vitamins B-6, E, and K. Packed with healthy fats, avocados make a great addition to most any grilled summertime meal.
5) Berries: These fruits are generally on sale during the summer since they’re in season and perfectly ripe. They are full of flavonoids, disease fighters that can help keep your body working great. Low in calories these go great on their own as a summer snack, in yogurt to add flavor, and as a great addition to your favorite smoothie.
Want to find a way to beat the heat while staying healthy? Add these 5 superfoods to your summer diet and see what a difference it can make in your body.